noun or·ga·ni·za·tion \ˌȯr-gə-nə-ˈzā-shən, ˌȯrg-nə-\
organization: the act or process of putting the different parts of something in a certain order so that they can be found or used easily.
Raise your hand if you have a “junk drawer” (or two..or three….). Does your pantry resemble a semi-successful game of Tetris – stacked to the brim with cream of mushroom cans and boxes of crackers and cereal? What does the bottom of your purse look like?
We all know “how” things get disorganized….…it’s called LIFE!
As mom-preneurs, we UNDERSTAND what it’s like to multi-task.
Who can relate to grocery shopping while talking on a conference call and wiping a snotty nose? Or….cooking dinner while giving a spelling test, feeding the dog and doing a load of laundry? As women, we see a need and we figure out a way to fill it.
There is some sense of satisfaction in the ability to fill a need immediately. Maybe it’s the “superwoman syndrome” or maybe it’s just the way we are wired, but either way – life IS crazy and we just figure out a way to “dill with it!”
How do you feel when you open a drawer to find a pen, but can’t see one through the abyss of random items you’ve manage to collect? Frustrated, irritated, annoyed? On the flip side….How do you feel when you open a drawer looking for a pen and you find it – waiting right in its place? How does your mental wellness improve with just this simple act of needing a pen and finding it right away? Can we say, SANITY RESTORED!
Studies show organization (or lack of organization) has an effect on our bodies. Consider basic physiology….What happens to your pulse, heart rate and/or your blood pressure when there is a need and you are having a difficult time trying to find the solution to fix it? We have our theory of what happens (because it happens to us!) But don’t take our word for it!
We invite you to explore your home; where do you find you are at peace? What do your surroundings look like? What about stressful locations in your home? Have you ever gone into your son or daughter’s dirty room and thought…. “ahhh, I am at total inner peace!” Yea… neither do we! Next time you are “In A Pikle” – observe what happens in your body. Do you notice an increased heart rate? Did your breathing become more rapid? Did you feel a rushing tingle to your face? You know what they say…becoming aware is ½ the battle. So…now what?
Organization (just like anything) is accomplished one step at a time – starting simple and building from there. Let’s use the K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Sweetie) principal and begin with a junk drawer (yes…just one) and don’t worry… we are not going to tell you to throw anything away. (I think we just heard a big sigh across the nation!)
- Pull everything out of the drawer and put it on your counter
- Sort each item; Pens with pens, Pencils with pencils, tape with tape, trash with trash, paperclips with paperclips, etc… (are you feeling it yet?)
- Prepare the drawer using an inexpensive utensil (cutlery) tray, the ones that have adjustable sides are ideal so you can make the space larger or smaller to fit the items. Ice cube trays work well to contain the little items that you need.
- Organize (We just got goosebumps – eek!); pens with pens, pencils with pencils, tape with tape, paperclips with paperclips, etc…
- Manage the remaining items, place them into a gallon size clear zip lock bag and put it inside the underwear drawer of your dresser. We suggest your underwear drawer because it’s handy AND…. you will see it every day.
- Let go after 30 days, ok… 60 days if you are still a little anxious! It’s time to accept that these items are not needed and are possibly keeping you from letting go of an unnecessary stress… I mean, our unmentionables deserve their drawer back, right!? Hold on!! We are not going back on our promise to not make you throw anything away, we simply invite you to find a new home for these items that is not in yours.
W A – L A!
How do you feel? We feel energized to accomplish something new! Try it…start out simple and build from there. It will amaze you how GREAT you will feel physically, mentally and organizationally to go looking for a pen and…. find it!
We think you’ll feel so great that you’ll have the gumption to dive right into the bottomless pit (purse) and tackle the unthinkable. Wait… what? YOU GOT THIS GIRL!!! And we got your… bag! Deep breath… feel the chills… and BOOYA! Yep, that’s what we do… We love the “In A Pikle” products because they are the epitome of organization – not just for the tangible things, but for our mental state of wellness as well. (Who knew?)
Cheers to organization and sanity!