What do you think of when you hear the phrase “It’s almost Mother’s Day?”
For some, it brings fond memories of childhood, or even fonder memories of being a teenager. For others, perhaps now mother’s themselves, it may evoke feelings of gratitude, happiness, joy – – and, even sheer exhaustion (especially if you are reading this in the middle of 3am baby feeding.)
Celebrating our mothers and motherhood isn’t a new concept. In fact, these celebrations can be traced back to the ancient Greeks and Romans who held festivals in honor of the mother. The festivals were a beautiful time to pay tribute to these women and shower them with gifts of recognition. A whole day to celebrate the toughest, most underpaid positions known to mankind….the profession of motherhood.
Fast forward to the 21st century and, many may describe motherhood in much the same manner. Over the centuries, this day of motherhood recognition has continued and whether in ancient times of Rome or this modern day era, there is one common question that has been contemplated for centuries…“what should I give my mom?”
So…I took this question to the streets of the “In A Pikle” staff, and although it was unanimously agreed that a simple THANK YOU is sufficient, here are the top 10 favs…straight from the mouths of mama’s…
- “I got a Minky Couture for Christmas from my husband and absolutely love it. It is so soft but also weighted so it’s unlike any other blanket.” – Alisha M. https://www.softminkyblankets.com/
- “I like COLOR on my feet. Funky socks and shoes are my fav! I would like some Green shoes!” – Tamara F. https://www.ebay.com/i/272384313597?chn=ps&var=571317130504
- “Please Pamper me! I would LOVE some type of pampering massage, pedi, or facial.” – Marianne P.
- “I love Shari’s Berries. I’ve gotten this a few time from my hubby and they are so good!” – Alisha M. https://www.berries.com/
- “I am obsessed with this skincare line! It’s normally a little pricey, so this deal is a really good one and the products are amazing for any mom who loves some self-care and pampering!” – Lauren S. https://www.origins.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIme7gucPs2gIVC6dpCh0S3QlAEAAYASAAEgIZufD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CMvg4rvD7NoCFVYpaQod8IYHUQ
- “This is the coolest gift idea! Choose a special date and location and get a beautiful rendering of the night sky. We did this for my in-laws for Christmas (with their wedding date and location) and they cried when they opened it because it was so meaningful. I can’t wait to get one for my home too!” – Lauren S. https://thenightsky.com/
- “Well honestly, the only thing I think about for Mother’s day is talking to my daughter missionary. But, I wouldn’t turn down some flowers to plant in my yard and of course, seeing my grand baby.” – Rachel B.
- “I’ve been doing a lot of dishes lately, and I would love to receive these Glam Gloves. Why not wash the dishes in style!” – Marianne P. https://www.amazon.com/Glam-Gloves-Dishwashing-Cleaning-Restroom-Assorted/dp/B00313JT7S
- “My simple requests are these…
((in this order please))” – Lynnae B.
- “The Petite Pikle! I about fell off my chair when I opened this package and saw this little gem that fits in the palm of my hand! I’m in LOVE!” – Tamara F. https://www.inapikle.com/product-category/piks-for-her/petite-pikle-piks-for-her/
Motherhood = a journey of trial and error, laughter and tears and just plain ole’ IN A PIKLE moments! Sometimes this profession is underpaid, underappreciated and oftentimes these are plain ole’ understatements! But…on the flip side of the coin, Motherhood is sacred. It offers so many experiences, emotions and opportunities for growth. Sometimes this growth stretches us in ways we didn’t know possible! This Mother’s Day, we encourage you to take a moment to look around at all of the mothers in your life (including yourself) and celebrate the beauty and complexity of this noble profession called Motherhood. Embrace it’s beauty and relish the experience. ((And, if you need a good laugh to celebrate one of the toughest jobs in the world, check out this video, created by American Greetings. https://youtu.be/HB3xM93rXbY